日本は面白い/世田谷の米国人

向こうから来た人が世田谷、東京、日本の生活を楽しんでいる (^_^)

Friday, September 23, 2005

What I miss top 10! (Friday's English)

Here's what I miss from my home country while I live in Japan...

10) Butterfinger candy bars (well, I CAN find them in some specialty shops like International Azabu in Hiroo)

9) 60cent cans of Coke (but there aren't as many vending machines as in Japan...)

8) Mailpouch chewing tobacco (not sure why I do this, but just to carry on a tradition or something. Their advertisements used to be painted on the sides of barns and is a part of culture all its own.)

7) Zagnut candy bars (almost all I can find in Japan is Snickers and a few others. Zagnut is like a Butterfinger, but with coconut instead of chocolate on the outside. Mmmmmmm :-)

6) katydids (there are other nice evening insect sounds, but the katydid song is nice. :-)

5) Copenhagen snuff * (maybe it means I'm a redneck, but it's great for fishing, hiking and mushroom hunting. ;-) and it's carrying on Native American culture (Native Americans chewed tobacco.)

4) affordable fishing (in Japan it costs me 5000yen to fish on one river from March to September. Here, it costs me 3000yen ($25) to fish on any river in a state the size of Hokkaido for a whole year!)

3) shop keepers calling me "honey" (well, the female ones...)

2) daylight savings time (I don't like sunrise at 5am...)

1) CEREAL! (Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, Trix, Cocoa Puffs and many more. And healthy cereals like Raisin Bran.)

----------------------

Things I don't miss...

- no alcohol sold on Sundays

- no alcohol sold in some counties

- all the drinks are sweetened (no unsweetened tea)

PS: about the fishing - this week so far I've caught about 9 rainbow trout and 1 nice brown trout. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home