日本は面白い/世田谷の米国人

向こうから来た人が世田谷、東京、日本の生活を楽しんでいる (^_^)

Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday's English - Jeopardy!

Jeopardy is a popular TV game show in America. Sometimes I play a simple paper version with my students. Basically, it's just a quiz, with 100 point, 200 point and 300 point questions (higher points are more difficult). Here's an example:

100pts: How do you write and pronounce ハーブティー in English?

200pts: What movie(s) had Gandalf, Frodo and Aragorn? And how do you write it in English?

300pts: What are 2 animals for which the singular and plural forms are the same in English?


answers




















Answers!


Herb(al) Tea. In British English, the "H" is pronounced, but in American English, it is usually not pronounced.

"The Lord of the Rings"

sheep, deer, (others??)

4 Comments:

At 1/21/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger hiro said...

"Herb tea" sounds like 「アーブティー」to me. I can not hear "h" sound.

I couldn't answer NO.2 because I haven't seen any of Star Wars films.

No. 3: My answer was correct! :p

 
At 1/21/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger ryecatcher said...

About #2, it's actually "The Lord of the Rings". ;-) But the main thing is I see many Japanese people writing about "Road of the Rings" and "Load of the Rings", which is funny because it sounds like the title of an adult video!

But then again, I'm probably making mistakes like these in Japanese on this weblog. (O_O)

 
At 1/21/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger hiro said...

aww,,,yes!, not Star Wars, but Load of the Rings!!

Japanese people don't mind the difference between "L" and "R". :p
They are the same to Japanese.

By the way, why does "Road of the Rings" sound like the title of an adult video???? I don't get it.

 
At 1/21/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger ryecatcher said...

"Road of the Rings" just sounds like リングの道 to me. But "Load" is the one that sounds like an adult video - notice the "a" (as opposed to "r" in "Lord").

It's probably because I have a "dirty mind", as we say in English, and think of a sexual connotation. But "load" could be slang for... well, something sexual...

Like I say, I probably just have a "dirty mind".
m(_ _)m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home