日本は面白い/世田谷の米国人

向こうから来た人が世田谷、東京、日本の生活を楽しんでいる (^_^)

Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday's English (A little complaining)

Wow, Shinjuku and Shibuya are crowded on these holidays. In my Japanese language textbook, it said that such long holidays are the best time to wander around Tokyo, because everybody is off to someplace else (maybe the textbook was actually talking about Obon...). But it doesn't seem to be true.

At Mister Donut, an older lady tried to cut in line in front of me. This happens often here in Japan. Usually, I let it go. But today I was in a bad mood, so I said "chotto ii desu ka?" and ordered. What do Japanese readers here think about people breaking in line in front of you??

But anyway, I got my 3 cafe au lait okawaris at Mister Donut. And I talked to a girl from Aomori (visiting Tokyo) who was studying English next to me. She said she likes Disneyland. I guess most Japanese people do, right? But it's strange, I'm an American, and I don't have much interest in Disneyland...

On the Morel front, I found a small one by Sengawa yesterday. I think I scared the obaasan walking by me. I said, "konnichiwa". She nodded. Then I said, "kinoko wo mitsuketa" and pointed to it. She looked scared. Then she saw it and said, "hontou!" Yesterday, many Japanese people looked at me like I was a "kowaihito" (note the racist big nose - you see this often in school textbooks). Maybe it was because I hadn't shaved (from www.e-famosos.com)! ^_-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home